Thursday, June 3, 2010

Vegan Strawberry Shortcake-in-a-Bowl!

The Perfect Storm: $1 pints of strawberries, too-sweet vanilla almond milk (Silk brand, seriously it's like melted ice cream) and laziness.

The Result:


Friends, I give you, the Cake-in-a-Bowl.

Let me explain.

Have you ever seen these things?

Let me tell you, they're divine, but pretty expensive and not the healthiest things in the world. I love the convenience and the small serving size though.

A while back, I found a recipe for single-serving brownies you're supposed to bake in a single muffin cup, but I thought it was dumb to only use one cup of an entire muffin tray, so I ditched that idea. Then I remembered the Warm Delights and I decided to nuke them in a bowl instead and it came out beautifully! (PS, I can't remember where I found this recipe, but if you've seen it, let me know so I can give credit!)

But why just chocolate? (of course, I could easily live with just chocolate, but c'mon, let's branch out a little)

So, I changed the recipe to make vanilla cake, added the strawberries and made "whipped cream" with the too-sweet almond milk, and I had cheap, lazy, and even healthy strawberry shortcake.

Ok McKella, quit yammering and give us the recipe already.

Strawberry Shortcake-in-a-Bowl

2 T whole wheat pastry flour
1 T granulated sweetener like sucanat or brown sugar
1 T agave or maple syrup
1 T applesauce
1 t non-dairy milk
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t vanilla

Mix in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke for 30-60 seconds or until fluffy.

Add sliced strawberries and whipped cream or Chocolate-Covered Katie's Agar Pudding, which is great stuff, and the perfect way to use up that Silk Vanilla Almond milk!
You can chill this or eat it warm like I did.

Closer:

(Please excuse my lame photography. I'm still figuring out what all the stupid buttons on my lousy camera do.)

I'm really liking this idea, so expect to see more Cake-in-a-Bowl creations in the future!

Ideas:

Cinnamon cake
Carrot cake
Red velvet cake
Coconut Cake...

Let me know if you have other ideas! The funny thing is, I'm usually not a cake person, but these are so fun to make!






3 comments:

  1. Oh my gsh, McKella, this looks amazing! I am so taking down this recipe! I'm thinking... chocolate fudge cake in a bowl? I'll have to look at those warm delights for flavor ideas, but I like the sound of the raspberry one :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. $1 pints of strawberries? Lucky!
    2. I completely agree about the Silk Vanilla Almond. I had to buy it once just to see what it was like. I have a VERY high tolerance for sweetness, but the sugary-ness of that was really a shock. Luckily, now you can make your own sweetened-to-taste almond milk :]
    3. Homemade mini Warm Delights = brilliant! I'm so glad you came up with a vanilla cake version. I've got to try this. I'm thinking diced strawberries and cashew creme as a topping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try cashew cream forever, but I've got a list a mile long of recipes to try. I swear I'm almost done with that huge carton of Silk, but I'm not actually drinking it, just in stuff so it's taking awhile.

    ReplyDelete