Thursday, March 18, 2010

Adventures in Veganizing: My Famous CCCs


I love chocolate chip cookies, and I'm very proud of my ability to go from "Hmmm, I want cookies" to "wow, these taste great" in ten minutes, without consulting a cookbook. My handy dandy Kitchen Aid mixer does a lot of the work though.
I made an experimental sized "mini-batch" to veganize. I used my original recipe, but replaced the butter with vegetable oil and the egg with soy flour and water, which is only one of many egg replacements I need to try.

I threw all this into my mixer, in this order:

1/4 C vegetable oil (instead of butter)
1/2 T soy flour and 1 T water (instead of egg)
1/4 C beet sugar
2 T brown sugar
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C rolled oats
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 Real Salt
1/2 baking soda
Chocolate chips (I never measure these, I just turn the mixer on and pour until it looks like enough!)
Here's what I got:
The dough was really crumbly and the oats and CCs weren't sticking. I love sampling cookie dough, but I could taste the soy flour, which was a huge turn-off. It tasted like I'd blended sprouts into the dough.
I managed to smush the dough into balls and laid them out:


I baked them at 375 F for about 8 minutes (I don't use timers either; I just kinda sense when they're done) and took them out when my apartment started smelling wonderful. They looked pretty good, not as flat as usual. Time for the taste test:

With homemade vanilla almond milk

They were delicious! No more of that nasty soy flavor. They were a little chewier than the originals (I actually liked it) and were surprisingly satisfying. Next time, I'll definitely try a different egg replacer, and maybe fiddle with the wet/dry ratio to make the dough stickier. If I want dough though, I can always make make raw vegan cookie dough bites, inspired by CCK's fudge babies and Averie's balls (teehee)

Before I wrap this up, I'd like to introduce you to my little family:




Hubby Sam, Louka, and Ruby the Rat. My best friend with my favorite little furballs.

Now I'll make like a hockey player and quietly gather my things and sign out:)

Kella

No comments:

Post a Comment