Monday, April 5, 2010

Snack bombs

I love peanut butter, and I love snacks. When I know I have a butt-kicking busy week ahead, I whip up a batch of these babies for quicks snacks or meals. They're little, but don't underestimate them. These little guys pack an energy punch and they're delicious!

It's more of an idea than a recipe. Basically you start with oats and a few other dry ingredients.



Here's the oats, flaked coconut, raisins, sunflower seeds, and ground flaxseed. Use any kind of seed or chopped nut, dried fruit, and chocolate chips.

Then add enough nut butter to make everything stick and sweetener to taste if you want it sweet. You could probably do a savory snack bomb, but I always go for sweet.

So add your nut butter of choice:


Check. I like the original Adam's because it's just peanuts and salt, and after you stir it's all soupy and creamy on top, but there's still a bit of thicker stuff on the bottom to be eaten with a spoon.

I added a little agave and a stevia packet, then I decided I wanted some cinnamon too.



Then mix it all up and drop spoonfuls onto squares of tin foil or plastic wrap.



Now bundle them up and throw 'em in the fridge, and you have a yummy snack to grab on your way to the class you almost slept through. These snack bombs are gluten-free, 100% vegan and can easily be "rawified", so they work for everyone!

And now for the goofy pet picture of the day:



Ruby has free reign of the top of the bookshelf she sits on, and her favorite place to hang out these days is in the ugly bowl I made in a high school ceramics class. I fill her cage with nice, soft bedding and she wants to sit in a cold, hard bowl. Go figure.
So cute though.

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!

Kella

5 comments:

  1. MMM those bombs are looking tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little "bombs" look perfect for mid-day pick-me-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/01/vegan-peanut-butter-choc-chip-protein.html

    Very similar to what you made, except with more ingredients, and protein powder (optional really). Ive been making them for awhile, give em a whirl! They were published on the Tropical Traditions site too.

    Thanks for your great comments, you're the best!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that's my kind of snack! I forgot about Adam's peanut butter, but we ate it all the time when we were kids. Ruby is adorable btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These make a great pre-workout snack. They give you some oomph without weighing you down. Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete